Making the sugar syrup:
- First, we are going to make the sugar syrup.
- Put water, sugar, and cardamom in a pot on medium heat. Let it boil until it turns slightly sticky and leaves it there on a very low flame to keep it hot.
- Meanwhile, prepare the milk balls.
Making Gulab Jamun balls:
- In a bowl put flour, milk powder and baking powder.
- Add the melted butter or Ghee and mix it with the dry ingredients.
- Then gradually add milk and start making the dough. The milk must be at room temperature.
- Mix everything to get a smooth dough but do not knead. Gently mix.
- Grease your hand with a little melted butter or oil. Take small portions of dough and with light hand, putting minimum pressure, make smooth crack free little balls in between your palms.
Making Gulab Jamun:
- Put a pot with plenty of oil on medium heat. Make sure it is not very hot. It should be medium hot otherwise gulab jamun will be brown without cooking inside.
- Add all the balls at a time and fry them over medium-low heat until golden. Keep stirring gently to fry them uniformly.
- Remove them to a plate and let them cool down a bit.
- Add the warm fried balls to the hot syrup and turn off the fire. Leave them into the syrup for at least three hours to soak them well.
- Serve warm or at room temperature.