For me, the ginger-garlic paste is one of the most essential items for Indian cooking. I used to add it almost in every dish. Using it along with the spices gives you the authentic test of an Indian meal.
I prefer to make it fresh since I have a mini blender to blend it in a moment. But you can make a large amount and store it for more days.
Here I will show you how to prepare and store it.
- 1 cup fresh ginger peeled and cut into small cubes
- 1/4 cup garlic cloves peeled
- Add the chopped ginger and garlic cloves into the blender and add a little bit of water.
- Blend them until you get a smooth paste.
- Store it in the fridge and use it within two days.
Ingredients for the storage option:
- 2 cups fresh ginger peeled and cut into small cubes
- 1 and 1/2 cup garlic cloves peeled
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 2 teaspoons salt
- Add all the ingredients into the blender. Blend them until you get a smooth paste.
- Pour the paste in an ice bucket and with a spatula flatten it and remove the excess.
- Put it in the freezer. When it is frozen, take the cubes out of the ice bucket, put the portions in a freezer bag and store them back in the freezer.
- When you need to use them just grab 2-3 of them and add directly. They can be used for two months.
Tips and tricks:
- Usually, the ginger-garlic paste is made by mixing both components in the same proportion, but I usually put more ginger than garlic, approximately in a 60/40 proportion.
- You can prepare them separately as ginger paste or garlic following the same process.
- If you are using young ginger which has very thin skin, you do not need to peel them.